7/14/10

International Desk?

Writing for my blog using the office computer is kinda funny. I feel like I'm using office's property for my needs. I would be condemned be this a communist country (therefore the office would be government owned).

Well, it's been almost a week since I started writing international issues for a national newspaper, Media Indonesia. Well, I didn't exactly report things. All I did was interpret some news agencies' works and rewrite my own piece. When I lacked ideas, or the deadline was too tight, I would just translate the thing and let my editor do the rest of the work.

I feel less journalist-like though, reporting all day from the office. I barely left my computer all the working time this week. I only had to interview one person, one time, and it was by phone. I have a press con in my schedule tomorrow and it will be the only time I have to leave office. Not cool, e? Not exactly what I had in mind of what a journalist would do.

But I'll learn. I'll learn that some of us do have to stay in the office, reporting what other reporters had written. Because eventually, journalists are just messengers. We telll people what happened, what they need to know, and what they want to know.

I'll have different issues to cover after three months here. So I better gain something out of this now. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment